Title: The Importance of Wrapping Your Hands for Boxing
Boxing is a physically demanding sport that requires not only skill and strategy but also careful consideration of safety measures. One of the fundamental aspects of boxing safety is hand protection, and this is where hand wraps come into play. In this blog post, we will explore the importance of wrapping your hands for boxing and provide you with a step-by-step tutorial on how to properly wrap your hands.
The Importance of Hand Wraps in Boxing
- Protection: The most obvious reason for wrapping your hands is to protect them from injuries. Boxing involves powerful punches, and without proper hand protection, you risk damaging your knuckles, wrist, and thumb. Hand wraps help distribute the force of your punches more evenly, reducing the risk of fractures, sprains, and bruises.
- Wrist Support: Wrapping your hands correctly provides essential wrist support. It stabilizes the wrist joint, preventing excessive bending and extension during punches. This support not only protects your wrist from hyperextension injuries but also enhances your punching power by allowing you to transfer more force from your body into your punches.
- Knuckle Padding: Hand wraps include layers of padding over the knuckles, which act as shock absorbers. This padding helps cushion the impact of your punches, reducing the strain on your knuckles and minimizing the risk of developing conditions like boxer's knuckle or arthritis over time.
- Thumb Protection: Wrapping your hands also offers protection to your thumb, which can easily get injured during training or sparring. Proper hand wraps keep your thumb securely in place, reducing the risk of sprains and fractures.
- Improved Hand Alignment: When wrapped correctly, hand wraps help maintain proper hand alignment. This means your fingers, knuckles, and wrist are in the optimal position for punching, reducing the chances of injuries caused by awkward angles.
Now that you understand why hand wraps are crucial in boxing, let's move on to a step-by-step tutorial on how to wrap your hands properly.
Attached below are video links tutorials for hand wrapping
How to wrap your hands:
- Unwrap the wraps fully
- Wrap the wraps around your knuckles four times to create a pad to set on top of your knuckles
- Slide the wrap off of your hand, keeping the shape, to then set the pad on top of your knuckles and wrap around your knuckles twice to secure it
- Then go around your wrists 3x
- Then go around your thumb once (wrap should go from the palm out)
- Then take the hand wrap and go around your wrist one more time
- Now we take our handwraps and go between our fingers, wrapping once around our wrist in between each finger.
- Lastly you are going to finish up the rest of the wrap by going around your knuckles and wrists as many times as needed.
P.s… these written instructions correspond with the second video link! Watch it for extra help 🙂