If you're reading this, you're probably interested in starting boxing. This wonderful sport will change your life in the most unexpected ways and we've created the perfect guide to help you get started on your boxing journey!
What is Boxing?
Before we begin, let’s talk about what exactly boxing is. The first image that often comes to mind is an aggressive and brutal fight, but there is much more to it. Boxing requires finesse, power and strategy. It is often called a “sweet science” due to the precision and tactics behind every move and the observations boxers make before fighting back.
Boxing v.s. Boxercising
There are a couple of ways to go about it, so ask yourself this: “What am I most interested in”? Do you want to pursue this as a competitive sport, or simply use it as a way to incorporate some fitness into your life?
- Boxing: A combat sport involving two people punching each other and trying to knock your opponent down. Boxing rounds can go from three to twelve, each usually lasting three minutes.
- Boxercising: This is a form of fitness where you incorporate intensive boxing training, excluding sparring, and use it as a way to exercise rather than to compete.
No matter what you choose, each comes with its own set of benefits and will leave you feeling empowered!
There are countless ways to stay fit, so why boxing?
Well, have you ever come home from a rough day at work, feeling stressed or even angry? Box it out! Boxing is one of the world's greatest stress busters. Physically punching a bag relieves tension from your body and mind, allowing you to destress and relax. The benefits of boxing are endless, and here are just a few:
It’s no secret that boxing is a great fitness activity. It builds endurance, stamina and is a great way to improve your overall cardiovascular health. Who says you have to run on a treadmill to do cardio? This sport works your body out like no other, targeting every single muscle to its fullest capacity. It’s not all fun and games - so get ready for some hard work.
Did you know that boxing improves your mental health as well? It provides a safe outlet for you to release any tension and negative energy through each motion. Boxing also forces you to push yourself more and more everyday, ultimately helping you overcome obstacles in your day-to-day life.
Building Your Confidence
Confidence is something many people struggle with, caring about what other people think and living in constant fear of judgement. Boxing is one sport that can drastically change this. Over time, you will learn to overcome those fears by applying the skills you learn to your life. You will start believing in yourself and be the best version of yourself!
What Will I Need?
If you’re looking for a fun sport without too much of a financial commitment, look no further. With lockdowns and restrictions, many of us are stuck at home. But you’re in luck! Boxing requires nearly no equipment, so a set of comfortable workout clothes such as leggings, a tank top and a jump rope for training will be all you need!
Although you may not have access to gyms at the moment, you will eventually want to look for a good pair of hand wraps as they’re crucial for hand and wrist protection. You may also want to consider investing in a pair of gloves, although most gyms will provide a pair for you.
How to Start?
So we’ve covered the basics, but you’re probably still wondering how to start… especially at home by yourself. It can feel overwhelming at first, but we’re here to explain everything so you can start your journey on the right foot. Although it may not be the same as a boxing gym or class, there are quite a few things you can still do at home!
- Begin by getting yourself in the right mindset and introduce simple workouts in your daily routine. Before you start any level of physical activity, make sure to warm up and stretch your body to prevent injuries.
- Skipping rope is an excellent workout option to improve footwork and rhythm - these are key skills required in boxing.
- Implementing some beginner arm and core workouts is also a great idea to strengthen the muscles and prepare yourself for more intense workouts!
- Shadowboxing, a technique where you simply punch the air is a good step forward. It will give you a feel for how different punches work, and allow you to correct your form and prepare yourself before starting on a real bag.
- Enrolling in online classes, watching videos and reading up on the different forms may also be a great option if you're looking for more guided practices.
Hopefully you’re familiar with the basics and begin your boxing journey. Remember, it’s never too late so start today! You’ll thank yourself later.